... Do as the Russians do

So I've been in Russia for a week now... how crazy is that? I'm not going to lie, it has probably been the hardest week of my life. I'm not going to go into that just yet because today I wanted to tell you about some of the most interesting things I've come across whilst in Russia and what the motherland has taught me thus far.

Just outside (opposite) Галереи Чижова (the main shopping centre)

Firstly, unfortunately the Russians here have proved themselves to be equally, if not more, disorganised than previously thought. For me, disorganisation and lack of order makes me all panicky and anxious, so the laid-back way of life here really has not help me settle in any faster. Despite starting lessons on Tuesday, we didn't receive a proper timetable until Thursday. For the first few days, we were just told (if we were lucky!) the day before what we would be doing, and were just expected to show up when and where we were told. This would be tricky even if we were in Bath, but Voronezh is a pretty big city and nothing is in English. They could have at least provided us with a map!

Opposite the Russian Department where our classes are

Before coming here, everyone warned us about the culture shock that we would most likely suffer from. Having grown up in HK, I knew I would be able to deal with how notoriously blunt Russians are know to be - as the Cantonese are very similar. However, it never crossed my mind that I would experience culture shock of another kind - the difference between the standard of living here compared to where I have previously lived. All of a sudden, you have to deal with the lack of reliable hot water, the unfinished pavements and the over-the-top Russian bureaucracy. I swear, there can't be a single pavement in the whole of Voronezh that is complete! At times I have even burst into tears and sworn never again to take a mattress or a hot shower for granted ever again! 

My make-shift washing machine!

This trip so far has also consisted of a record-number amount of firsts. Due to my current living situation (I'm living in a hotel until I can find somewhere else), I have been having trouble working out how to do my laundry. Funnily enough, Воронеж happens to be one of the only places on earth that doesn't have a single laundrette. So, onto plan B. Today I popped into Окей (the local supermarket) to pick up some detergent and stain remover. I then proceeded to do something I have never before done - washed my clothes in a sink. Kudos to anyone that does this often - it was such hard work! I was only washing underwear and undershirts so I can't even imagine washing trousers or jumpers! Other firsts since being here? I am now proficient at washing my hair with one hand whilst holding the shower head with the other, I helped my first Russian by telling him how to get to the nearest bank and I have mastered ordering Липтон холодный чай персик (Lipton Peach Iced Tea)!!

However, one of the most important things I've learnt so far has become the title of this post - do as the Russians do. It may sound painfully obvious, but the only way to learn a language and immerse yourself in a culture is to discard any trace of being a foreigner and try and blend in as much as possible. This could mean anything from dressing like everyone else to adopting their cultural habits. However, in the last week taking this advice more literally has been more useful than anything else. In Voronezh, the streets are pretty huge and wide, but only a handful of them have traffic lights to help you cross. If you've ever been to somewhere like Cambodia or Laos, you will know what I mean when I say that crossing the street is a bit like playing Chicken - it's a matter of who will stop first. So that is where my advice has come in most handy this week - do as the Russians do, cross the street when they do and you will surely survive!!

Well I'm sure I've rambled on for long enough now. There's so much more I have to say but I'll have to leave until my next post otherwise this will never go up! 

Until next time,

Isobel 
xx
Share

1 comment:

  1. I had no washing machine or launderette when I lived in Germany. Hand washing is a great workout though your hands start to hurt after a while!

    The thing about dressing etc. as the locals do is definitely true. I used to get funny looks for just walking to the post box without a coat on and wearing pumps was considered very strange!

    Alles Gute!

    ReplyDelete


Isobel Rose. 22.
London-born, Hong Kong raised.
Language graduate. Frequent traveller.
London/Bath, UK


PR Emails & General Emails isobel@isobel-rose.com


Third culture kid (TCK) is a term used to refer to children who were raised in a culture outside of their parents' culture for a significant part of their development years.

Follow on Bloglovin
Powered by Blogger.